expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Monday, August 26, 2013

Yummy Mummy Recipe: Cabbage Soup

Last night my in- laws loaded us up with a ton of goodies from their veggie garden. Amongst all this edible goodness was a massive green cabbage (It was the size of a basketball!) , and some other yummy root vegetables. Being that we're approaching the end of Summer, my cooking style is starting to shift away from lighter meals to hardier comfort food.


With this in mind I decided to whip up a batch of cabbage soup while the lil one napped. (Who says cabbage soup is just for people on diets?!) Here we go...

Yummy Mummy Cabbage Soup
Prep Time: Approx. 30 min Cook Time: 1 hour
Makes approx. 10 servings

For this rendition, I used:

1/2 a very large green cabbage = to one whole regular cabbage, sliced thin & centre removed
3 white onions, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 turnip, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
10 cups water
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp olive oil and/ or butter
Optional: 100g bacon or ham (adds extra flavour)

Directions:

Start by warming some olive oil and/ or butter in large pot. Add diced onion & garlic.

Cook until onion is translucent; add 1 cup water, followed by turnip, carrots & celery

Once carrots & celery have softened, add bouillon cubes, remaining water & cabbage

Add salt & pepper to taste

Bring to a boil for 5- 10 minutes; cover & reduce heat for approx. 45 minutes to an hour

I let mine stand & cool on the stovetop for a while before transferring. With this batch I put some aside to eat right away, and portioned out the rest to freeze. This way, when the hubby has to work in the cold Fall & Winter weather, I can pull a bag to thaw overnight & send with him in a thermos.

I love when I get the chance to plan ahead!!! Any way to make life a little easier when you get the chance is a golden opportunity.

I hope you enjoy :)

Image Source: Simply Recipes