expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Friday, September 6, 2013

DIY: Bench Makeover!

I thought I'd toss in a little project post before the weekend starts. This Saturday & Sunday I'm off to try and find some other goodies to breath new life into. This was one of my first projects and am pretty pleased with the results. I picked up this lil cutey at a garage sale and as soon as I saw it, I knew what I wanted to do with it. I had seen some black and white stripe fabric furniture on Pinterest, and loved the statement that such a simple pattern can make.

Before...



After!




To transform this retro beauty, I first took it apart and washed the individual pieces. Partly because I'm kind of a germophobe and partly to help the paint adhere better.

I then sprayed all the pieces with 2 coats of matte black. This took a little bit of effort given all of the manoeuvring to properly cover all of the angles, but I think I did a pretty good job. ;)

To recover the seat, I removed the old fabric and had the hubby help me to align and staple the new. Given the stripes, it was important the pattern didn't get warped or distorted, so we worked from opposite sides and kept the fabric very taught while stapling.

Then it was a simple matter of reassembling everything in it's refreshed state.

I can't wait to find my next project! Hope this inspires you to see the potential in outdated vintage ;) furniture!

Dimensions: 36.5" Wide* 18.25" Deep* 34" High