expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Friday, September 13, 2013

DIY: Coffee Table Project Preview

This past week or so I'd been on a mission to find my next furniture project. As this was going to be my first attempt since having Ari, I had a few criteria: It had to be a simple piece, such as a table or small cabinet; it couldn't be too big; and it had to be something that didn't require too much prep work. All of this since I knew my time would be more broken up taking care of the little one.

I'd been looking for the right piece, and being pickier than usual. I checked out my local haunts with no success, so when my parents and I got to check out Habitat for Humanity's Restore stores (sorry, I know that sounds funny), I was looking forward to scoping out new territory.

We checked out of their  Burnaby & Vancouver locations. What makes these stores unique is their concept: they carry new & used building materials & home decor that has been donated with the proceeds going to build homes for those in need. It's a treasure hunt with a conscience!

The stores had everything from cabinets to light fixtures to paint to power tools, and oh so much more. And the inventory is constantly changing. The prices are fair and they will negotiate if you make a reasonable offer. The staff were also very friendly, helpful, and willing to answer any questions we had.

I had success at the Burnaby location, and came across this lil beauty:


It was perfect, and I knew as soon as I saw it what I wanted to do with it. 

So after loading up my purchase, we headed to The FAT Paint Company in New West to stock up on chalk paint & wax. It's currently a work in progress, but as you can see, the table has already undergone a partial transformation. I'm hoping to have this makeover finished this week, so I'll upload photos & go through the process in a later post. In the mean time, if you're feeling creative, check out The FAT Paint Company- Brad & Victoria (the brother- sister team who founded this gem of a company) are very knowledgeable & helpful. I'd recommend this little shop to anybody looking to try some DIY. 

When I upload the finished project I'll go into more detail about the process. But for now you can see how well the chalk paint has worked out...

1st coat

2nd coat

FInished project to follow!!!