expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Yummy Mummy Recipe: Beet Salad

This is one of those salads you have a lot of liberty with. It's versatile and packs a nutritional punch. When I was a kid I hated, HATED red beets. I just couldn't bring myself to eat them. About a year ago I decided what the heck, I'll give them a try. Since then I've been trying to incorporate them into more of my cooking (and maybe baking soon!).

This salad is good with a vinaigrette or honey mustard dressing- but you can use just about any variety you like :)




Yummy Mummy Beet Salad:
Serves 4 -6 
Prep Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

Salad:
3 medium beets, diced into approx. 1/2" pieces (I boiled mine with the skin on)
1 head leaf lettuce
1 red delicious apple
1/2 head green cabbage
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/2 cup walnuts and/ or pecans
Other yummy options:
strawberries, sunflower and/ or pumpkin seeds, spinach

Honey Dijon Dressing:
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil (optional, if you like a more diluted dressing)

Start by washing & prepping the beets. Bring a pot of water to a boil & add beets. Cook until soft, approx. 15- 20 minutes

While beets are cooking, wash lettuce, cabbage, & apple. Cut into your preferred serving style (ie apple slices, or diced pieces). Slice cabbage into thin strips- as if you were using it for coleslaw.

Layer lettuce at bottom & sprinkle cabbage, apples, nuts and feta on top. When beets are cooked, drain and rinse under cold water. Sprinkle on top. 

For the dressing, mix all ingredients in a bowl & mix well.