expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Yummy Mummy Recipe: Carrot Soup

I sometimes wonder if I was a bunny in a previous life, since I love me my veggies! I'm hoping my kids will like fruits & veggies as much as I do (if not, poor lil buggers won't have a choice anyways!) ;)

This recipe was partially inspired by a delicious soup my sister in law made last week; I plan on trying it later, and will post it when I do! In the meantime, I had all these lovely veggies from my father in law's garden to use, and thought a carrot soup was in order. I should mention that even though I'm calling this a carrot soup, it really is a well- rounded veggie soup; it's got carrots, potatoes, & cabbage. I used this recipe as a guide, then modified it to suit what I had. Check out my version below :)

Image Source:
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/creamy-carrot-soup-recipe-ghk0410



Yummy Mummy Carrot Soup:
Serves 6- 8
Prep Time: 10 min     Cook Time: 20 min

10 carrots scrubbed and/ or peeled (I can't tell you what this is in lbs, sorry!)
1 large potato/ 3 -4 small/ medium potatoes, cubed (approx. 1/2"- 1" cubes)
1/4 head of large green cabbage, sliced (or 1/2 head of a regular size cabbage)
1/4 cup cilantro
2 shallots, chopped
4 cloves garlic (or to taste)
1 vegetable bullion cube
Salt & pepper to taste
Olive oil
4 cups water


Directions:

Wash and prepare veggies. Heat oil in pot. Add garlic & shallots.
Toss in carrots, potato, cabbage, cilantro, & shallots. Pour in roughly 1 cup of water to help cook the veggies & add bullion cube.
When bullion cube has dissolved, add remaining 3 cups of water; give a good stir & bring to a boil.
Reduce heat & simmer covered for approx. 15- 20 minutes, or until carrots are soft.
Scoop soup into blender in batches- be careful if it's still really hot!- and puree.
Add a generous scoop of sour cream & garnish with cilantro if you like.
Can be served hot or cold.

Enjoy! ;)