expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Retail Therapy: Gardening Addiction!

Since we're officially into Fall, it's time to start putting the garden to bed for the Winter. I've been keeping busy cutting back some of the bushes, pruning, and adding some hardy items into our planters so they're full & beautiful for the Fall & Winter.

The hard part is picking plants that work with your budget & will be suitable for where you want to use them. Key things to keep in mind are the hardiness of the plant- is it vulnerable to frost and/ or wind?- does it need shelter from above or from other plants;  how long do you want it to last?

Because I had existing planters that just needed a few spaces filled, I decided to go with choices that will hopefully carry through Fall & Winter. While I love the colours of Fall, I especially love a clean look, so I went with white Fall mums & green kale to update my planters. What was great about this lil facelift was the price point: the kale was $2.98 per plant and the mums were $3.98 per plant. Since I only needed 3 of each, I was able to do my project for under $25. That makes me a happy Momma!

My Dad and I love checking out our local garden centres and we're lucky to have a great selection in our area. For this trip, we visited Cedar Rim Nursery in Langley. Their prices are fair, their staff are friendly & knowledgeable, and they have an amazing selection! I believe they close for the season at the end of November, but if you get a chance, make sure you check them out. :)

Some great ideas: Pampas grass, mums, & kale

A peek into just a small part of the nursery

Chinese Lanterns- $19.95- so cute!

Gourds! 

I thought this was a cute display, so I couldn't resist taking a photo! :)

My updated planter all ready for the Fall & Winter!

Note: Kale does need shelter from the frost & cold, so it's a good idea to tuck it in somewhere where other plants will protect it. :)