expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Friday, January 24, 2014

Amazing Mom: Debbie Fettback, PopYOUlarity

I think most of us have had crushes on someone famous. Or maybe you've always wanted to meet a certain celebrity? How'd you like it if your job was to meet and interview celebrities? This week's Amazing Mom does just that; meeting and interacting with some of today's top acts in the music industry. What's more is she created this career herself- starting at the ripe old age of 16! With some hard work and perseverance this week's Amazing Mom is proof that you really can do anything you set your mind to. 



1. What kind of products and/ or services do you offer?
I own an online music publication, popYOUlarity.com that showcases music artists through artist interviews (major label and indie), contests and reviews. I have also written two books with details on how to get started in music industry journalism; "How To Interview Like A Rock Star" shows the ins and outs of getting that interview with your favorite artists, along with what to do and what not to do; "Reaching Rock Star Status" is geared towards helping the artist get more out of their interviews through sample interview questions and tips.

2. What is the price point?

popYOUlarity.com, the website, makes its income via advertising. The books can be found easily online through book retailers such as Amazon. The hardcopy version is $15 and the ebook version $3.99.

3. How long have you been operating and how did you start?
I started popYOUlarity when I was sixteen- grade 11. I had an intense love for music and knew I could take this above just having a regular fan site and being a "groupie", if I worked hard enough. It has now been in business for 13 years.

Our Amazing Mom, Debbie, with Michael Buble

4. How did you decide what to do?
There was no real method of thought behind my madness. I had always had an intense love of music and figured it would be cool to be able to talk to people who pour their heart and soul into their music. After a lot of cold calling and denials, I finally found a couple people who would give me a chance, and popYOUlarity took off. popYOUlarity was born at the same time as other similar publications that we're now familiar with, so it took a while to gain the trust as it was a new idea of promoting artists being presented.

5. What is your favorite part of what you do? What is the biggest challenge?

My favorite part is that there is quite a bit of flexibility to set my own schedule. For the most part, I am able to work from home. I like the feeling of that freedom and I believe it helps to keep me working hard. I also love talking to so many different people; it is inspiring. The biggest challenge now would be staying original. I have done hundreds of interviews over the years and feeling like I'm not repeating myself over and over again is really hard. The band/artist may not know it, but if I'm sitting there with something I feel is unoriginal, I don't feel that I am doing the best I can. 

6. Any advice to other ladies/ moms looking to start their own business?

You really need to find something you feel passionate about. Something that will keep you inspired to keep on pushing and better your business and yourself. If you really love what you do, it won't feel like work all the time since you will be enjoying what you do.


Debbie with Ladies of the Canyon

If you want to see Debbie's latest celebrity interviews or are just curious about popYOUlarity, check out popYOUlarity.com ! (Or check out popYOUlarity's Facebook page here).





Images Courtesy of Debbie Fettback