expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Monday, January 20, 2014

Yummy Mummy Recipe: Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

I was busy this past weekend baking up a storm. With lots of dietary changes in the family I've been searching out even healthier versions of my recipe favourites. While it isn't necessary for me, I try and go gluten free when possible; the same goes with sugar and salt. It's amazing the difference you'll notice over time once your taste buds have adjusted to purer flavours.

Anyways, enough about that. One of my all times favourite recipes is banana bread. I hate, hate, HATE throwing out food, so inevitably my freezer becomes a stockpile of produce- including bananas!- that I saved from a wasted fate in our compost. With hubby of gluten, and my sis- in- law off gluten, eggs, and dairy, I thought I'd try some alternative versions of this classic recipe. I made four loaves, each with slight variations, and was very happy with the results. You'll see my notes below to help guide you with the different options.


Yummy Mummy Recipe: Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Makes 1 loaf (approx 16 1/2 slices)

Ingredients:

2 cups flour- swap out regular flour for a gluten free option
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1 cup chocolate chips- skip these if you want a dairy free version
2 cups mashed, ripe bananas
1/2 cup butter melted- swap equal amount of apple sauce for a dairy free version
1/4 cup milk- try almond or coconut milk for a dairy free version
2 eggs-  you can swap 1/4 cup apple sauce per egg

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees; line a baking pan with parchment paper (use one that will give you the desired shape- mine is approx 4"* 8")
2. Using 2 bowls, mix dry ingredients in one and wet ingredients in the other
3. Combine all ingredients and mix well
4. Pour into baking pan and bake for 50- 60 minutes (or until a wooden skewer can be poked in the middle and comes out clean

I hope you love this! (PS check it out as muffins!)