expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Friday, February 21, 2014

Amazing Mom: Lisa, Ned and Macs

Do you remember my post a while back about teething? At the recommendation of many of my Mom friends, I added an amber bracelet to my teething arsenal and one of my suggestions was to try an amber necklace/ bracelet as a natural option to help sooth your lil one's pain. I am never without it, and since Ari has cut three teeth since I wrote that post, I speak honestly when I say that it has eased the teething experience for our family. When I recently featured Steveston Village Maternity one of the owners, Beth, recommended I check out some of the great local brands they carry, including Ned and Macs

Since two of my goals are to offer natural solutions and to support local ladies in business whenever possible, I am always trying to find opportunities to combine the two. This week's Amazing Mom Lisa and her business, Ned and Macs, do just that. Lisa is a great example of a local Mom trying to bring a natural solution for a common problem to the market. It's partly thanks to Lisa's own mum in New Zealand that this business exists and that she is able to offer a product previously not available here in BC- Baltic Amber teething necklaces. 


It's hard to go anywhere without seeing a lil one wearing an amber necklace, and these accessories are more than just a cute fashion statement. If it's something you've been considering, why not support a local Mom and business when you decide to give one a try? If you're curious about amber and it's healing properties, check out the information following the Amazing Mom feature questions. And now for a little from this week's Amazing Mom...


1.     What kind of products and/ or services do you offer?
Genuine Baltic Amber Teething Necklaces – in 8 colours!


2.     What is the price point?
They retail for $29.90.

3.     How long have you been operating and how did you start?
Soon after the adoption of my first daughter in 2009, she surprised me by teething at 11 weeks!!! I am a New Zealander, and I knew of Baltic amber as a natural teething remedy, so I set out to find an amber necklace in North Vancouver. I couldn’t find one in any baby store, or even online anywhere!!! So I contacted my mum (still living in New Zealand) and asked her to Fed Ex one ASAP! When my daughter was wearing it, many of my friends- also new mums- started asking me what it was and what it did. They then wanted one, friends of friends wanted one – of course…..and Ned & Macs was born.

4.     How did you decide what to do?
Not being from a business background – AT ALL, I just decided to ‘wing it’! I did some research, asked local baby stores if they would be interested in stocking a natural teething remedy, found a supplier, designed a logo, ordered supplies, got a small business license, and left the ‘numbers/legal’ stuff to my professionals!

5.     What is your favourite part of what you do? What is the biggest challenge?
Truly believing in the product and being able to build awareness of a natural remedy to teething. No-one loves seeing their drooly, red-checked, cranky wee one going through teething.
The challenge – as for any momprenuer – is fitting it in to a busy working schedule (this is not my ‘real’ job, but just my ‘hobby business’). I am often working on the computer with an infant hanging off my leg (as I am now!), or sitting down to fill orders when my kids have just gone to bed (right about when all I want to do is sit on the couch with a cup of tea!!!!).

6.     Any advice to other ladies/ moms looking to start their own business?
Go for it! But plan for a BUSY – or more busy- schedule. Make use of people around you for the complicated stuff! It’s way more fun to look after the more fun side of the business yourself. A good accountant and legal advice is key!

Lisa & her lovely family


About Baltic Amber (courtesy of  the Ned and Macs website)

- Amber is a fossilized plant resin- not a stone
- Baltic amber is sourced from trees in the Baltic region of Russia and is completely organic
- It is a natural anti- inflammatory and analgesic (pain reliever) 
- It's healing properties are released as it warms against the skin of the wearer

For more information or to order a Baltic Amber teething necklace, check out the Ned and Macs website.

Logo and images courtesy of Ned and Macs