expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Monday, March 24, 2014

Yummy Mummy Recipe: Gluten Free Berry Muffins

Now that we're officially into Spring (which means Summer is right around the corner!!!) I start to shift my cooking & baking from the heavier comfort foods of Fall & Winter to some lighter options for Spring & Summer. This is a great time of year to make some freezer- friendly goodies such as muffins, since the last thing you want to do in July is turn on the oven! I was recently scanning Pinterest for some inspiration for some gluten free muffins that Will could chow down on; ultimately I combined a few recipes to come up with an option I liked. I'm slowly becoming more comfortable making tweaks in my baking so I can create custom goodies that suit the new dietary needs in the family. These muffins are not only simple & healthy, but are a delicious gluten free option.


Yummy Mummy Recipe: Gluten Free Berry Muffins

Ingredients:
1 cup chopped berries of your choice (I made a batch each of blueberry & strawberry)
- if using blueberry, no need to chop
1 3/4 cup gluten free flour (I used Cloud 9)
1/4 cup sugar (I used coconut sugar from Galloways- amazing!)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk (or substitute your favourite non- dairy milk- I love coconut)
1 egg (or substitute 1/4 cup applesauce)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees & line or grease 12 muffin tins
2. In one bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, & salt; in another mix vanilla, oil, milk, & egg/ applesauce
3. Add the berries to the dry mix, then combine with wet ingredients until blended well with no lumps (other than the berries)
4. Pour batter into muffin tins- only fill 2/3; bake for 25- 30 minutes, or until a skewer poked into the centre of a muffin comes out clean
5. Eat nice & warm from the oven or allow to cool & freeze for yummy snacking later
Enjoy! These babies were gone in no time! Light & delicious.

The blueberry muffins...

 ...and the strawberry...

..YUM!

Photos by Katherine Petrunia