expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Friday, April 4, 2014

Amazing Mom: Giovanna Pastulovic, The GioPye Baking Co


Who doesn't love a tasty treat? Home made? Even better. But for those of use who aren't talented in the culinary arts or simply don't have the time to create a fresh- baked delicacy from scratch, there are angels ladies like today's Amazing Mom, Giovanna Pastulovic, who put a warm & fuzzy spin on the coveted Martha Stewart/ Pinterest- inspired perfection we see in baking today. 

Looking for baked treats for a special event? Want to give an edible gift that's as beautiful as it tastes? How about a gourmet Easter basket? I blissfully stumbled upon Giovanna and her stunning baked goods at the local North Delta Winter Market. Her work will stop you in your tracks. Literally. I knew when I met her and tasted some of the amazing items she makes that she is something special. So is her work: everything from fudge & pies to gourmet marshmallows & meringues. By now you know it's a passion of mine is to support local. Giovanna embodies the passion & spirit of an entrepreneur who loves what she does. This lady and her work deserve any title with the word amazing attached. Learning from a young age how to bake, Giovanna has taken her family's talent & love of baking and created a beautiful business. Read on to learn about Giovanna's story & her edible creations. 

GioPye's gourmet marshmallows
        What kind of products and/ or services do you offer?
Whoopie pies, petite fours, fudges, brittles, confectionaries, gourmet marshmallows, meringues, and warm even rustic pies- sweet & savory

We create and deliver to special events, weddings / favors, showers, birthdays, work Parties, gift baskets, christmas, and holidays.

What is the price point?
      Ranging from $4.00 for a Mini-Whoopie Pie to $25.00 for a full size Pie.

 How long have you been operating and how did you start?
The Giopye Baking Company is now in it’s 2nd year. 
My interest in baking began when I was around 7.  I was inspired by my Mother and Grandmother.  Since we were a large family my Mom always had large amounts of quality Italian home-cooking on the go while operating her buiness and caring for her family.  We all learned to pitch in and one day I was reading one of her Betty Crocker cookbooks when I flipped to the pastry section. Down on the bottom right side of the page was a picture of Petite Fours.  They were delicate pretty pastel little things.  I’m pretty sure I was hooked then and there. I still have the book and it is never far from me.


GioPye's meringues
How did you decide what to do?
For me it was and is a  continually process of allowing my natural abilities and strengths to exist.  That’s it.  No more no less. I enrolled myself into the Digiital Design program at The Vancouver Film School.  This was a first step in the right direction.  I recieved an exceptional education and was very blessed with the instructors and faculty.  As a result I have been able to communicate my ideas through various platmforms thereby honing my skills of creating pastries and sweet treats, photographing the products and creating content for digital media. 


How did you come up with the name?

I decided to portion and assign the key areas of my life into a Pie Chart.  I absolutely love pies, especially apple so this made staying in check with my life a lot more fun and inspirational. Since I'm always baking my friends
Pie anyone?
started referring to me as Giopye so that was kind of catchy.  The very last reason that tied it all together is that I love mathematics.  So every time I hear the company's name or speak it, it keeps me connected to my love for the sciences.  And the result was The Giopye Baking Company.

What is your favourite part of what you do? What is the biggest challenge?
My favourite part of what I do is watching the products come to life, almost as if on their own.  It’s a bit bizarre, but it seems like my most important job is to show up.  Kind of like flicking on the light switch and then these creations just seem to take on a life of their own.  They design themselves. Sounds funny, but it is true. 

The biggest challenge that I have experienced is identifying and managing top priorities while nourishing the company’s growth objectives.


The lovely Giovanna!



Any advice to other ladies/ moms looking to start their own business?
Take good care of your skin
Make sure you are YOUR most gorgeous self  every morning.  You first.
Be organized
Research
Have working capital
HAVE A REALISTIC BUSINESS PLAN
Have, maintain, and develop a strong supprort system
Trust your talent, it will never disappoint you







If you would like to find out more about GioPye & all of the amazing items Giovanna handcrafts, check out her Facebook Page (website coming soon!).

Go to our Contests page and enter to win an assortment of confections from GioPye, just in time for Easter!




Images & logo courtesy of Giovnna Pastulovic, GioPye Baking


April posts sponsored by Gary Gallant Travel