expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Monday, April 28, 2014

Yummy Mummy Recipe: BBQ Ribs

It's officially that time of year: BBQ Season. I can't say that word without thinking about the mouth- watering smell that marks the lead- up to Summer. We recently had my bestie and her hubby over for dinner and I couldn't resist the opportunity to break out the barbee. And what better way to do that than with ribs??? Because we're trying to eliminate as much processed food as possible, I even tried my hand at making my own BBQ sauce. It's taken me a few tries to get it the way I like, but I'm pretty happy with the version I've posted below. Just a little heads up: cover the pot when you're mixing the sauce- mine bubbled so much that splatters made it to the ceiling & walls! 
Hint: Give yourself some time to make these babies; the longer they marinate, the better! These are a great make- ahead meal (they'd also be tasty as a slow cooker meal).


Yummy Mummy Recipe: BBQ Ribs
Ingredients:
1 package of pork ribs (mine had two large slabs- enough for 2- 4 people)
1 can crushed tomatoes (28 fl oz)
1 can tomato paste
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp each:
- ground chipotle pepper
- ground chilli powder
- smoke seasoning (I used Trader Joe's dry smoke mix)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp honey
*For a sweeter sauce use more honey; for a more bitter sauce add some mustard


Directions:
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; carefully place ribs in water & boil for 20 minutes; for really tender ribs reduce to a simmer & cover for an hour or two
2. While ribs are boiling, place all of the sauce ingredients in a pot & heat through
3. When bubbling, cover & simmer for 30 minutes (Be careful or you could have a sauce volcano like me!)
4. When ribs have boiled for desired amount of time, drain water
5. In a large dish, ladle a scoop of sauce & add ribs. Pour & rub more sauce over the ribs, coating well. Save a little bit for later
6. Cover & let marinate for a few hours (once ribs have cooled, place in fridge)
7. When ready, heat BBQ & place ribs on grill; rub/ brush on remaining sauce
8. Remove & serve

Serve with rice & your favourite sides.