expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Monday, May 12, 2014

Yummy Mummy Recipe: Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken

This is the second in my series of snappy  Yummy Mummy recipes for busy moms & families- test driven and recommended to me by some of my friends who have gone back to work and looking for delicious meal ideas they can whip up over the course of a busy work week. 

I'm excited about these recipes because I know they've passed the test for flavour & convenience and still hold up for nutrition. I'm so grateful to my amazing friends who have sent these recipes my way to try out. Since it was Cinco De Mayo last week, I thought I'd try out this recipe with a Mexican twist. This is a great option if you want to break out your slow cooker and come home to dinner pretty much ready to serve. Major bonus: this is a perfect warm/ hot weather dinner idea, when you're craving lighter options that leave you feeling satisfied. Thanks to my friend Jill for sending this one my way.



Yummy Mummy Recipe: Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
Adapted from Skinny Taste's Embarrassingly Easy Crock Pot Salsa Chicken

Ingredients: 
Boneless/ skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 cup salsa
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
1/2- 1 tsp cayennes (optional- to taste)
1 cup chicken stock (optional- see step 3, below)

Serve with tacos or as a taco salad with some or all of the following:
Tostadas or taco shells
Shredded lettuce
Grated cheese
Grilled corn 
Diced tomatoes
Diced onions
Diced green peppers
Diced avocados
Sour cream or Greek yogurt
Extra salsa

Directions:
1. If you want, pre- prepare your toppings such as the cheese, diced veggies & grilled corn & store in the fridge so they're ready to go
2. Pour the salsa into the bottom of the slow cooker, followed by the chicken & season as desired
3. Cook on low for 4 hours (or add the chicken stock & cook on low for 8 hours if it's a work day)
4. When ready, remove chicken & dice or shred & serve with your choice of toppings

This would be a great item to bring along for a pot luck lunch or picnic- just cook the chicken over night & wake up to your dish ready to go!

Image Source: Skinny Taste

May posts sponsored by Noah's Ark Hypnotherapy