expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Party Planning 101: The Truth About Parties

I am going to be honest: this post was intended to tell you all about how to plan a birthday party (or any special event, really) that was both stress- free and as cute as those photos you covet on Pinterest and Instagram. I'd be lying if I told you planning Ari's first birthday was stress- free, but as this post hopefully shows, you don't have to spend hundreds of dollars to have a great party.


Overall, everything worked out and I was happy that my hard work paid off, but there were a few bumps in the road on the way (the hubby and I totally ended up fighting as we juggled all the day- of prep for the family party). For any Mom planning a birthday party, or celebration- or for any lady who has a shower, wedding, or other special event to plan, I hope this gives you an honest & realistic idea of what is involved.

Proceed With Caution!
Like so many friends I know, it started with Pinterest. I pinned ideas that I loved and before long had more than a few ideas about what I wanted to do, a theme, and how all the little touches would make it perfect (this process very much reminded me of planning my wedding, and how easy it is to get carried away with ideas). It isn't hard to get excited- and overwhelmed- by all of the cute and beautiful ideas out there for special occasions. But I have learned that like so many things, you have to prioritize. It's easy to get carried away!

Break Up the Celebrations
I am very lucky to have some wonderful friends that I wanted to share the occasion with, and knew that it would be best to split up the celebrations into a friends party and a family party (the family party alone would be around 20 people!). I decided to go with pink and gold, with Minnie- Mouse inspired polka dots and decor. 

And now for the fun!

The Decorations
Tip: Save money by making some or all of your decorations. Get creative with dollar store staples such as streamers, tissue paper & ribbon- the options are endless! (I made tissue tassels & streamer curtains that made a big impact without dropping a lot of money).
Keep decorations that can be re- used for other parties & celebrations (like multiple birthday parties!)

I carried the pink, gold, & polka dots throughout both parties, re-using some of the decorations for both. A fun bonus was the Minnie Mouse balloon sculpture courtesy of Coco Globo balloons- it was the perfect fun finishing touch I was looking for.

The Family Party
From this...

...To this!




The Friends Party
From this...


...To this!

Thank you to Coco Globo for the Minnie Mouse balloon sculpture!



The Goodie Bags
Tip: Keep these fun favours budget friendly by combining some homemade goodies with 1 or 2 larger items.
I did slightly different bags for the lil ladies & gents (but all had some sugary treats for the parents, including some homemade candy skewers!)
 For the lil gents: 
Bow tie from Cutie Pie Boutique
Sun visor 
Sidewalk chalk
Candy skewer & lollipop (for Mom & Dad!)


 For the lil ladies: 
Clippie set from Cutie Pie Boutique
Sunnies
Sidewalk chalk
Sidewalk chalk
Candy skewer & lollipop (for Mom & Dad!)





The Food
Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for some help with the menu! I was fortunate to have my Mom and Mother In Law help with the family party and one of my girlfriends contributed beautiful homemade cupcakes for the friends party to help offset the cost & work.

The cakes lovingly made by my mama in law! (I LOVED the smash cake!)


And the gorgeous cupcakes my friend made for the friends party- eek those bows!


The freebie cake from our local Thrifty's (you get a free cake when your lil one turns one!)

Even though these ideas show girly colours, you can easily swap them to suit the colours of your theme. I hope some of these ideas inspire you for your next special event- whether it's a birthday party, shower, or wedding! oxox TPB 

I want to say how grateful I am to Cutie Pie Boutique and Coco Globo for helping me make these celebrations extra special. See below for info.

Cutie Pie Boutique- adorable hair accessories & rompers for your little lady!
Etsy Store
Facebook
Instagram: @cutiepieboutique






Coco Globo- amazing balloon sculptures for all your special events needs!
Website
Facebook 








July posts sponsored by Cutie Pie Boutique