expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Little Green Pouch Product Review

A friend of mine told me about these reusable pouches by Little Green Pouch a little while ago and I was really excited when they offered to send me some to try out.

I received a package containing 4 reusable pouches, extra caps, labels, and a collapsible funnel- everything I would need to get the ball rolling on my own homemade & portable food. And while we associate food pouches with baby and kids food, who says Mom can't test drive these puppies? Like their website says: "A reusable food pouch for babies, kids, and grown ups".


These nifty little pouches hold up to 7oz of food and have a zipper top that allows to you fill them with your own mixes, wash and reuse. What initially attracted me to them was that they are reusable, (which reduces waste) and they give Moms the ability to mix up custom blends and control the ingredients they use. On top of this green perk, these pouches are also BPA and phthalate free, lead free, and dishwasher/ freezer safe. 

The first thing I did (after taking some product photos!) was toss everything on the top wrack of my dishwasher to test how they would hold up. I used the prongs to hold them open and they washed up nicely. I let them air dry upside down on a towel (I would recommend doing this to help make sure no water remains from washing between uses).

For the recipes, I made sure to use ingredients that would puree well in a food processor (check out one of the recipes I created for LGP here!). I would recommend avoiding chunks as they could clog the spout. Like the store- bought options, smooth purees are the best filler.


Using a variety of ingredients that included blueberries, spinach, and quinoa, I made up a few combos for Ari to try. My goal was to combine less popular ingredients like spinach with flavourful ones like the blueberries to help mask the taste. For Moms with picky eaters, this strategy may help you get some greens into your little one!

Once they were ready, I used the funnel and a spatula to scoop the ingredients into the pouches. They're made of a sturdy flexible plastic, so you can hold them open without them collapsing. They also have expanding bottoms, so when full they stand up (this helps make it easier to fill them and for storage). When I gave Ari one to try it was cute and amusing watching her adjust to eating from the side of the pouch instead of the top, but she mastered this new technique quickly.

Another great thing about these pouches is the ability to freeze them. Perfect if you want to whip up a large batch and have them in convenient pouches for lunches and snacks on the go. Simply label the pouches (date made & contents) and pop them in. When it comes to cleaning, I recommend giving them a thorough rinse before putting them in the dishwasher, and use a scrubbing brush to get into the creases in the bottom where food residue can be hard to reach. The bottoms of the pouches are clear, so you can see if there is any food stuck. I found using the suggested baby bottle brush with the small wiry tip for nipples worked best (if you don't have one you can find them in most stores, and they're available on the Little Green Pouch website. An added bonus is the labels dissolve, so you don't have to fuss with sticky residue on the pouches.

I really like the Little Green Pouch and would recommend them. I know some older kids who love pouches, making these an ideal option for Moms with kids of all ages. And what the heck, they'd be great to freeze smoothies in for those busy mornings you don't have time for a gourmet breakfast. Just take one out of the freezer the night before. 

A four- pack of Little Green Pouches retails for $14.99. Or check out their starter kit, a great value at just over $50, which includes everything you need to get set up: 4 pouches, swivel brush, mini collapsible funnel, 60 dissolvable labels, 4 pack of silicone extenders (to help transition from bottles), & 4 extra caps. This would be a great baby shower gift!

You can find them online at the Little Green Pouch website.
You can also find LGP on Facebook & Twitter!

July posts sponsored by Cutie Pie Boutique

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/CutiePieonEtsy?ref=l2-shopheader-name