expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Monday, September 15, 2014

Yummy Mummy Monday: Pepper Jelly

I love what the end of Summer brings. The changing of seasons offers up a change of culinary options: we shift away from salads and lighter foods to soups and meals that leave you warm and satisfied. A tradition I'm starting to enjoy is canning some of the delicious fresh Summer produce to be enjoyed later in the year when the warmth of the Summer seems like a distant memory. I've only taken up canning in the last few years and I certainly haven't ventured too far into all the options, but I've found it to be a fun way to preserve food- and one made even more enjoyable when you do it with a friend. My best friend has been an avid canner for longer than I have, and she has brought this pepper jelly to family functions as a quick and simple appy. Believe me when I say it doesn't last long. Even if you've never tried something like it, this recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser! These jellies are great for holiday parties and stocking stuffers- and yes, we need to start thinking about the holidays! They'll be here before we know it. ;) And for newcomers to canning, this is a great simple recipe to get you started.


Yummy Mummy Recipe: Pepper Jelly

Makes 6 8oz jars. Jelly can be stored up to 1 year.

Ingredients:

1 whole red bell pepper, seeded & finely chopped
1 whole green bell pepper, seeded & finely chopped
5 whole jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped (You can chop the peppers either with a food processor or by hand- I recommend wearing gloves for handling the jalapenos if chopping by hand- my fingertips burned until the next day after handling these babies!)
2 cups apple cider vinegar
5 cups sugar
1 package fruit pectin

Directions:
1. Make sure to sterilize jars and lids prior to starting; most dishwashers have a setting that will sterilize, just leave the door closed until you're ready for the jars. 



2. In a large double boiler pot stir together peppers, vinegar, and sugar and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes then set aside to cool for 5 minutes.



3. Add the fruit pectin, stirring constantly. Make sure everything is mixed well, then let stand for a few minutes.


4. Pour the jelly into sterilized jars and seal tightly by hand. Submerge jars up to neck in the pot of boiling water and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, set timer for 5 minutes.


5. Carefully remove jars- using canning tongs are best- and set jars aside to cool. Listen for the lids to 'pop' indicating that they have sealed. this can take a little while, so don't worry if they don't all seal right away.


Enjoy the pepper jelly with cream cheese and crackers or for a dairy- free version, mix with some goat cheese yogurt. 

Thanks to my friend Courtney for the recipe and to my Dad for helping me make my first batch of jelly!
oxox

September posts sponsored by Cutie Pie Boutique