expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Friday, October 31, 2014

Getting Crafty with Curiosity Box

I admit it: I've started my Christmas shopping. But I know I'm not the only one! Every year I try to think of gifts that aren't just picked up from a big- box store from a selection of made- in- China toys; instead I look for ones that are unique and fun. And before you tell me you don't have the time to shop like that, don't forget the virtues of online shopping my friends!

In my hunt for some gift ideas for my nephews I came across Curiosity Box, an Ontario- based company that offers subscription options for your kiddos to receive craft & activity boxes shipped right to your door. And let's face it: what kid doesn't love getting something in the mail? Add to that anticipation the fun of creating something that encourages creativity and I think we have a winning idea. When I ordered the craft boxes for my nephews, the company generously offered up one of their Halloween Fun Curiousity Boxes for our family to try. Who could say no to that offer???
Photo: K Petrunia

When they arrived in the mail last week I couldn't wait to dive in and get crafting! (Can you tell I'm a DIYer at heart???) Each box contains the materials and glue needed for 3 crafts, plus an activity. I noticed there were even a few bonus items to play with- all matching the theme of the box. Our box contained the materials to make a bat sock puppet, a foam haunted house, & a tissue paper jack- o- lantern; a nice variety of crafts and sharable if you have multiple kids to entertain (or in our case, 2 adults and an enthusiastic 16- month old!).

When Will came home home from work the 3 of us dug into the crafting: he took over construction of the haunted house while Ari and I started on the bat sock puppet. I really liked the instruction pamphlet that came with the box that had easy-to- follow instructions (perfect for younger kids in need of some direction) and that the materials for each craft were organized into separate bags to keep everything organized. 

We stretched the crafting over 2 nights since we wanted to allow the glue to dry on the haunted house and with a little help from some tape to hold the roof in place, it came together. On night 2 of our crafting adventure we added the finishing touches to the haunted house & made the tissue pumpkin  (you can see the finished projects below). I'd say the three of us did pretty good. ;)


I really like that this is a fun gift idea that encourages creativity, following steps, and can be a group activity. For the variety of projects you get I don't think you'd be able to buy the supplies cheaper at a craft or dollar store, and I think there's a fun novelty about receiving the boxes in the mail. The only tip I have is that for older kids who can be trusted with one, a cool glue gun may be a good idea to help the projects come together a little quicker. Otherwise you simply have to wait for the glue to dry (but hey, a good lesson in patience isn't bad either). 

All finished!
Whadya think???
Photo: K Petrunia
You can order from the Curiosity Box website, with options for a single box, 3 month6 month, or 12 month subscription. (Subscriptions start at $25.95/ month, $24.95/ month, and $23.95/ month, respectively; prices vary for individual boxes).

You can also find them on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @Curiosityboxcrafts, and other social media sites.

A big thank you to Curiosity Box for giving us a Halloween Fun box to try out- we had a lot of fun! OXOX TPB






October posts sponsored by Cutie Pie Boutique