expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Monday, February 2, 2015

Yummy Mummy Monday: Coconut Cashew Butter

I have a confession: since Ari recently going gluten & dairy free I've been going a little cross- eyed trying to find food she will eat. Yes, I've still got good ol' fruits & veggies among my main go- tos (I swear she would eat fruit for all 3 meals if I let her), but I want to make sure she's still getting a balanced diet. And gone are a lot of the quick & easy snacks to toss in the diaper bag on the way out the door. A lot of the options that seem to be working for us take more time and planning than a lot of the regular options. While gluten free has come a long way, what is available is still often really expensive and/ or just not the same. I've been really struggling to find replacements for things like her favourite crackers that don't cost a fortune and that have more flavour than cardboard. 

The other thing that makes this diet change challenging is that if I want to try making more things myself (and I want to at least try), it takes a lot of trial & error to find a recipe that works. Plus the time that goes with it. And there's no guarantee my little food critic will even like the outcome of all my hard work! ;) I absolutely want healthy eating to be a priority in our family's lives, but I will be the first to admit it is less convenient, takes more time and effort, and can be frustrating and discouraging when things don't work out.

Now that I've vented, I was really excited when one of my recent culinary experiments was finally a success. Since Ari can't have almonds or peanuts I'd been looking for a yummy nut butter to spread on her toast & rice cakes to add flavour & nutritional value. After pricing up the pre- made options I figured it was worth a try to make my own; it's been something I've been wanting to do and Ari's diet change was the motivation I needed to finally give it a go. I was so relieved and excited when my little monkey gobbled the stuff up- Will and I also like love it, so it looks like this will be a new staple in our pantry. It's simple to make & I love that all it takes are a few simple ingredients. 


Yummy Mummy Recipe: Coconut Cashew Butter

Ingredients:
2 cups raw cashews (I've heard it's best to soak them in water overnight; I soaked mine for about 6- 8 hours because I didn't plan that far in advance) ;)
1 tbsp coconut oil (doesn't have to be melted)
1 tbsp pure maple syrup (skip if you want a sugar- free option)
1/4 tsp salt (add more to taste)

Directions:
1. Drain cashews & pour into blender, followed by the other ingredients.
2. Pulse in 20 second increments & use a spatula to push the mixture down towards the blades. between pulses (please wait until the blades have stopped!)

3. Continue until your butter reaches your desired texture; I kept ours a little crunchy since we love the texture. :)

Spread on your favourite toast, bun etc (or enjoy by itself with a spoon!) & enjoy!



Snacking success!
Store in an air- tight container in the fridge.

If you make this, I'd love to hear what you think! What other homemade spreads have you tried making with success????

Don't forget to check out other healthy recipes on the Yummy Mummy Recipes page!


February posts sponsored by Little Dreamers Consulting