expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Monday, February 9, 2015

Yummy Mummy Monday: Slow Cooker Broccoli & Cheese Soup

Even though 2 out of 3 of our family are totally gluten & dairy free, this preggo mama still has some major comfort food cravings that she has to indulge on the sly. So when Megan from Food & Whine sent me this recipe for slow cooker broccoli & cheese soup to feature I pretty much start drooling right away. And I'm talking the real sexy, eye- rolling, Homer Simpson 'ohmygodthatlooksamazing' drooling. Put a pregnant woman in front of Megan's delicious- looking photos and it's like Pavlov & his dogs. We may not be experiencing the cold & snow that others are right now, but the grey Vancouver weather still beckons for hearty & satisfying meals. Even better when they can be whipped up in the crock pot to come home to after a busy day. Here's what Megan had to say about her recipe...

At this time of year, when the weather’s cold and dreary, I love having soup…and creamy, cheesy soup is the best kind, isn’t it? I think it’s a perfect comfort food.
Another great thing about soups is that most of them can be cooked in the slow cooker.  A slow cooker can be a really handy time-saver for busy families. I have three little ones and a full-time job, plus I blog and write on the side, so life is pretty hectic right now.  I love being able to prepare a meal ahead of time and let the slow cooker work its magic. By the end of the day, when I’m tired and the kids are cranky, dinner is the last thing I want to worry about.  It makes my evenings a lot simpler when I can just dish a meal out of the crock pot without fuss. 
This soup is really fun when served in mini bread bowls. My kids get a real kick out of being able to eat their bowl. It turns the soup into a filling meal. I like that it has a lot of broccoli in it, so they’re getting a good dose of vegetables. And of course, we all love the cheese! I don’t know what it is, but there’s just something special about cheese and broccoli together.  I hope you love this soup as much as our family does.
 
Yummy Mummy Recipe:
Slow Cooker Broccoli & Cheese Soup
Ingredients
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 cup flour
4 cups whole milk
1 can evaporated milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 cups broccoli, cut into florets
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (extra for garnish)
Small bread loaves for bowls
Directions:
·         In a dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and saute for about 5 minutes until softened.
·         Sprinkle with flour and stir together.
·         Whisk in milk and evaporated milk. Bring to a boil, until the soup begins to thicken.
·         Add salt and pepper, to taste.
·         Pour the soup into a crockpot and then add the broccoli florets.
·         Cook on low for 6 hours. Or on high for 2 – 3 hours.
·         Before serving, add in the cheese and stir until melted.
·         Cut out the lid of the bread bowls at an angle, and pull out chunks of bread to form a bowl. The bread chunks and lid are perfect for dipping! Pour the soup into the bread bowl and top with extra cheese.



A little bit of info about the lovely Megan: 
My kids like to whine, especially when it comes to the food they eat, but that doesn't stop me from trying to make tasty and healthy meals for them. Follow along as I share family-friendly recipes and reviews from my picky family members, who I lovingly call "The Whine Critics." 

Hugs & thanks to Megan for sharing this amazing recipe with TPB. For more of her mouth- watering, family- friendly recipes check out her blog, Food & Whine. You can also find her blog on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram

February posts sponsored by Little Dreamers Consulting