expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Friday, March 6, 2015

Wooden Easter Egg DIY with Natural Earth Paint

A few weeks back I shared this post featuring Natural Earth Paint and their Petite Children's Earth Paint Kit. We had a fun, messy, art- filled afternoon trying out their natural, non- toxic, & eco- friendly paints and I'm glad to have found a company that offers quality art supplies that are chemical free (I love DIY & artsy activities, but don't want to worry about what's in the products being used, especially with a toddler who inevitably will end up with her fingers in her mouth ;) ). 

With Easter just around the corner I wanted to share a fun DIY that's a twist on a classic: dying eggs. 


We're all familiar with the dye kits you can get at the grocery store complete with vibrant dye pellets. Growing up, it was something I always looked forward to at Easter time, and I remember my Mum trying different tactics to make the eggs last more than a day; we usually hard- boiled them, and one year we even hollowed some raw eggs with a needle. But sadly eggs only stay good for a few days before you have to chuck 'em out, and I was always sad to see my Easter project go in the garbage (inevitably the fragile hollowed- out eggs suffered the same fate, since they were so delicate and got cracked). Plus I'm not sure about what goes into those dyes, and I'm not too excited about how they stain fingers, clothes, and any unprotected surfaces. Since this is Ari's first Easter where she'll be able to enjoy some of the crafts and Easter egg hunts, I wanted to find a toddler- friendly DIY we could enjoy that wouldn't end up in the trash. Enter wooden Easter eggs!  

Natural Earth Paint offers a kit including 6 2" wooden eggs plus 6 colours of Earth Paint (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, & white) that you can decorate and keep long after Easter is over (I think they'd also make cute Christmas tree decorations, just add a string/ ribbon). I thought this was a fun alternative to the traditional dye kits, and since they're wood you don't have to worry about little hands having to be fragile with them.

Here's what the wooden egg kit looks like:

I couldn't wait to have another artsy afternoon with Ari and make a big mess. For the paints, I mixed them up in a cupcake container so they wouldn't spill as easily (plus it worked as a place to chorale the eggs & for drying after), popped some paint brushes on the table and let them at it (to see what the paint colours look like before and after mixing them up, check out my post featuring the Petitie Children's Paint Kit here). 

I invited one of my girlfriends over with her little man to join in the fun and it was hilarious helping these two bumpkins decorate their first Easter eggs.We opted to let the kids paint in just their diapers to avoid any extra messes and since paint got everywhere this was a good decision (Ari decided her tummy was an excellent canvas ;) ).  

Let the fun begin!
 

Easter fun in progress!

...And the finished product!



When the kids were finished with painting, the clean up was as simple as wiping everything down with soap and warm water, no staining and no scrubbing necessary (except for Ari who needed a post- DIY bath to wash her now- blue belly button!). I love that we'll have these eggs for as long as we want to keep them, and can redecorate them every year if we want. It will also be cute to see how Ari decorates them each year as she grows up. If you've been looking for a fun Easter DIY to do with your kids, this kit is a great idea. Thank you to Natural Earth Paint for giving us two enjoyable afternoons filled with artsy, DIY fun! 

Natural Earth Paint offers a variety of other natural art supplies for kids in their Eco Kids product line- including paint kits and face paint- and fine art supplies for adults.

To learn more about Natural Earth Paint & to order your own wooden egg kit, visit their website & find them on Facebook & Twitter. 

Product featured in this post:
Wooden Eggs Craft Kit- $15.95 USD
Product Features:
Sustainable FSC certified wood from the Pacific Northwest
100% non- toxic tempura- style paint

Disclosure: I received free product in exchange for this review. All opinions are my own.


Photos by K Petrunia; logo courtesy of Natural Earth Paint


March posts sponsored by Little Dreamers Consulting