expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Monday, March 23, 2015

Yummy Mummy Monday: 2 Meals 1 Bird

I'm LOVING having my friend Jena as a regular contributor to TPB, especially when she sends me yummy recipes like this one! With the bump due to arrive at any time I'm really appreciating her help keeping things running smoothly. I'll keep my blurb short & sweet and hand it over to Jena to introduce this week's YM post:

When my husband’s food allergies hit an all-time high and we started researching what he could eat and what foods would help to heal his intestinal lining, broth came up again and again. Broth is getting big folks! Food kiosks devoted entirely to broth are popping up in North America’s hippest cities, and the broth pioneers are claiming it enhances gut health, fights inflammation, and provides a healthy dose of proteins, minerals, collagen, and electrolytes.

Luckily for us, an amazing ‘brodo’ (Italian for broth) recipe is a staple in my husband's family and I'm going to share my take on that recipe. But first, to make broth you need ‘ze bones'. In my quest to make broth, I made a roast chicken and discovered, that while it might seem daunting to roast a chicken, it is in fact an easy go to for busy parents. You can prep the bird for roasting in under ten minutes, toss in the oven over some yams for just over an hour and your meal is complete. No need to put aside 45 minutes in the kitchen, while your two year old destroys your life- I mean play room. These recipes are gluten free, paleo- friendly, egg free, and dairy free if you omit the parmegiano that I like to rain down on my soup.

Yummy Mummy Recipe:2 Meals 1 Bird
Simple Roast Chicken with Yams
Chicken Brodo Soup (for all y’all on the broth craze) 


Simple Roast Chicken with Yams

Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1-1.5 hours

Ingredients:
Whole Chicken
Sea Salt
Pepper
Olive Oil
2 large yams
Dutch Oven

Directions: 
1. Preheat Oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
 2. I start by rinsing the bird and I pat it dry so it doesn’t steam in the oven. I then truss it, which you can Google, but it just means using cooking string to tie the legs and wings to the bird so they are nice and tight to the body.
3. I then lather the little lady in olive oil, and cover with sea salt and pepper. I like to combine the salt and pepper in a bowl before hand, that way I don’t have to wash my hands in between and can just rub it all in.
4. Slice yams into ¾ inch pieces and lay at the bottom of the dutch oven. Place the chicken on top and put into oven. Cook chicken based on weight (approx. 20 minutes per pound). You can use a meat thermometer to ensure that meat is cooked to 175 degrees at the thickest point.
5. Carve and Serve with a quick salad and Voila! I like to pour the juices over the yams and chicken meat, its delicious.
6. IMPORTANT: Put aside carcass for soup!


Chicken Brodo Soup*

Part One:

Ingredients:
Chicken Carcass
3 stalks of celery chopped in large pieces
2 carrots chopped in large pieces
1 white onion quartered
1 tomato quartered
Salt and pepper

Directions: 
1. Take a large pot and add everything except the salt and pepper. 
2. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Then allow to simmer for 2.5 hours. (I do this after dinner, while the kids are going down. I then leave it to cool and put it in fridge overnight).

Part Two:

Ingredients:
2 stalks of celery chopped into small pieces
1 chicken breast (optional, I add this if there is not much chicken left over from the night before)
Handful of spinach chopped
Brown rice (optional, not paleo)
Parmegiano (optional)

Directions:
1. The next day bring brodo to a boil again and strain into a second pot or bowl. 
2. I then put the carrots back in the broth and mash. I pick the chicken out of the strainer and return to broth, I also add any left overs from the carved chicken.
3. If there isn't much meat left over from my meal the night before, I dice and sautee a chicken breast and add to the soup. 
4. Sautee the spinach and celery and add to soup. Bring to a boil and serve! 

I like to make a batch of brown rice and add to my soup, but my husband whose diet is more restricted, omits it.

Sprinkle with parmegiano (if you can eat dairy) and eat!

* You can also simply make the broth and have a serving of it a day. It’s all the rage!  

Chicken Brodo Soup & Salad = YUM!
 March posts sponsored by Little Dreamers Consulting