expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Monday, April 13, 2015

Yummy Mummy Monday: Baked Broccoli Mac & Cheese

Usually I share recipes that are healthy & allergy- friendly, but today is all about comfort food & satisfying cravings. And really, what meal does this better than mac & cheese? When I go to my parents I usually take the opportunity to indulge in some gluten/ dairy and my Dad's mac & cheese is one of those meals that I can't make at home for my fam anymore, so I made a special request a few weeks ago when I visited. My Dad came through and his mac & cheese hit the spot. YUM. So I thought I'd share this yummy take on a classic for those days when comfort food is what you're craving. 


 Yummy Mummy Recipe: Baked Broccoli Mac & Cheese 

Ingredients:
4 cups macaroni noodles (uncooked amount)
3 cups milk
2- 3 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp mustard (regular yellow or dijon are delicious)
4 cups grated cheddar cheese (old/ sharp is best)
1/2 cup cream cheese
2 tbsp butter
2 cups broccoli florets cut into 1" pieces
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees & bring a pot of water to a boil. When bubbling pop the macaroni in the pot & steam the broccoli above the pasta as it cooks.
2. In a separate pot heat milk until it's almost at a boil; reduce heat to maintain temperature. In a cup mix cornstarch with water to form a paste and whisk into milk, followed by Worcestershire sauce and mustard.
3. When combined, add 3 cups of the grated cheddar and all of the cream cheese to the milk mixture and whisk until combined and creamy.
4. When macaroni & broccoli are ready remove from heat. Set broccoli aside; drain & rinse pasta well then add to the cheese mixture. Mix until combined & add salt & pepper to taste.
5. In a large baking dish (or individual dishes) layer the pasta/ cheese mixture followed by some of the broccoli florets and grated cheddar; repeat this for a second layer, topping with grated cheese to melt on top.
6. Bake for approx. 10 minutes or until cheese has melted. Serve immediately & enjoy.





What are your favourite comfort food meals? For more great recipe ideas hop over to the Yummy Mummy Recipe page!

April posts sponsored by Little Dreamers Consulting