expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Dreams Are Made for Children: Classic Jazz Lullabies {Book Review}

Growing up I loved reading and now as a Mom, I love reading with my kids. We started reading to Ari she was only a few months old, and even though we weren't sure how much she understood (if anything) we knew one day she would. Now our young lady loves books and I'm only too happy to nurture this love of reading in her; Liam is now a part of this nightly ritual and even though he can't pick out books yet, I'm glad we're carrying on the tradition with him.  

One of my favourite things when I was younger was my nightly routine with my Mum reading books before bed. As I got older they evolved from story books to chapter books that we read over several weeks. The Little House on the Prairie and Anne of Green Gable books are still some of my favourites and I look forward to snuggling up with Ari and turning the pages with her when she's a little older. A recent new addition to our nightly routine has been a picture book called Dreams Are Made for Children, which is accompanied by a CD with 12 classic jazz lullabies, perfect to help wind down at the end of the day.


I'm a jazz lover and I enjoy listening to these songs anytime, but they're perfect to help settle lively little ones at bedtime, and make a fresh alternative to traditional lullabies. Singers such as Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, and Billy Holiday are just some of the amazing voices included on the CD, selected by Paris- based jazz musician Misja Fitzgerald Michel. I popped the songs onto my old iPod nano and hooked it up to a portable speaker so we could enjoy it in Ari's room during story time.


The hardcover book is laid out to follow each song on the CD and includes lyrics and inormation about the singer, and illustrations by Ilya Green. The pictures are beautiful, and I love the bright colours she uses; it's a book kids and parents will both enjoy looking at. My favourite is the title song, Dreams Are Made for Children, performed by Ella Fitzgerald; I'll put it on repeat and enjoy the CD during nap time for some relaxing background music. I especially love one of the lines in the song, dreams are made for children, and for children dreams come true. This is such a sweet message and a reminder to nurture the dreams of our little ones as they grow.


I love introducing music to my kids and I've loved many of these jazz singers since my own childhood (I'm a big fan of Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet, and many of the singers on this CD). This is a fun and unique way to introduce this style of music to children while making it a part of nightly routine. And since the lyrics are printed in the books, it's perfect to follow along with the songs. 


Duration: 35 minutes. Recommended for kids 0- 3 years. Dreams Are Made for Children is available for $22.95 CAD through The Secret Mountain among other award- winning storybooks with CDs for kids.


To see more titles & learn more about this book, visit The Secret Mountain website. You can also find them on social media: Facebook | Twitter







November posts sponsored by