expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Pretty Spring Table DIY


Are you hosting Easter Dinner this year? Entertaining can be a lot of fun, but it can get expensive and be a lot of work- especially when it comes to the dishes and clean up! Today I'm sharing some fun and simple ways to set a Spring table including this pretty DIY table runner made from ribbon and fresh flowers/ greens. Added bonus: I used paper plates and napkins and wooden cutlery for an easy clean up instead of linen, china and silverware: just pop them into recycling and the compost when you clear the table and you're done! Scroll to the end of the post for all the details. 


 



















I love finding inexpensive ways to decorate and finding ways to use items I already have, and setting the table for special occasions is the perfect chance to do this. When it comes to entertaining, I love spending the time with loved ones, I just don't enjoy the time it takes to clean up after having guests. So I opted to set this table with as many recyclable/ compostable items as possible, as well as ones that can be used again- such as the mason jars and pretty candle holders- to cut down on clean up. I used these beautiful paper plates as the jumping- off point (can you believe they're paper?!) and went from there. The silver chargers I already had, and I simply folded up some paper napkins to lay the cutlery on. When guests are finished, the plates can go into recycling and the cutlery and napkins can be composted. All I'll need to do is pop the mason jars in the dishwasher and wipe down the chargers with a cloth. And then there's that table runner... 

I love making pretty centrepieces, but I don't like trying to see over them to talk to people across the table, so this low- lying beauty is perfect. All you need are some pretty fresh flowers and greens, and any other materials you would like to use. I laid down craft paper to serve as placemats (another easy thing to clean up!), then layered satin ribbon on top running the length of the table. I used ivy as the base then added some dusty miller and roses- use whatever you've got in the garden or pick up some fresh cuts at the grocery store. This doesn't have to be expensive to make a statement. If you'd like the roses to last longer, pop them in floral tubes with water. For a fun finishing touch for Easter, give each guest an egg and paint pen (or use a regular/ permanent marker) so they can decorate an egg while they wait for dinner to be served- this is a great way to keep the kids entertained and it's fun for the adults too. I hope this post gives you some ideas for your own Easter table! See the checklist below for what I used.

Table checklist:

Place settings:
- paper plates- Heather and Gem
- wooden cutlery- Grace Miller & Co
- kraft paper (used as placemats, I used a roll I bought from IKEA)
- chargers 
- napkins
- mason jars
- paper straws

Table decoration:
- wooden candleholders- From the Seeds 
- table runner:
--- satin ribbon (I just laid it down on the table, but you can use double- sided tape if you'd like it secured in place)
--- fresh greens- seeded eucalyptus, nagi podocarpus (used in a lot of flower bouquets), ivy, and dusty miller are a few ideas
--- fresh flowers- pick flowers that suit your style and colours that suit the rest of the table


Thanks to 
Heather and Gem,  From the Seeds, and Grace Miller & Co for helping me pull this all together!

March posts sponsored by