expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Fresh Air Mommy Daughter Date


We've been spoiled with some beautiful weather in the past moth or so and I'm trying to get outside with the kids every chance I get. Even if I can't make it to the park I like to get them in the backyard for some Vitamin D accompanied with some digging in the dirt or other fun activity. I take the kids to my parents a few times a week so I can get some work done (I am SO NOT that super mom who can work and juggle kids at the same time, my brain just doesn't work that way- I give major fist bumps to all the ladies who can) and we're spoiled with having a pretty great yard there that the kids can be unleashed play in.

While Liam was napping the other day I got outside with Ari for some one- on- one time and she had fun running around and checking out the fun goodies from Uncommon Goods that I was treated to as an early Mother's Day gift (PS- they will be spending a lot of time at the beach this Summer!). 


I've been looking for some fun Summer things for myself including a bag that I can fit all of my Summer essentials in (plus fit some of the kid's stuff), and can take a beating/ isn't too fussy. This duffel backpack has lots of room for things like towels, snacks, a beach blanket, etc, and you can pretty much pack it to the point of bursting. And since we tend to bring a beach worth of sand home with us when we go, I like that it can be tossed in the wash for easy clean up. There's pockets on the inside for things like keys, a wallet, cell phone, etc so I can find them easily and skip bringing my purse (yay for carrying less bags!). As an added bonus I love that it's made from GOTS certified organic cotton that's ethically made in India and a portion of net proceeds are donated to WWF. Buying products that do good never looked better.


And then there's this too- cute- for- words portable speaker. I tried paddle boarding for the first time last year (so much fun, if you haven't already, you've got to try it!) and this will be perfect to bring along for some background music (I'm thinking Jack Johnson and Donavon Frankenreiter would be perfect). It'll fit comfortably in my new backpack or is perfect to bring along to prop on a beach towel on the sand. It's fitted with foam rubber and a velcro strap inside so you can safely hook up your phone or MP3 player and keep it from getting damaged/ covered in sand (the audio jack fits most standard media players, plus there's a pluggable hole in the back so you can thread through an external input). You can also set it to your favourite radio station with the FM/ AM tuner so you can have music wherever you go, even if you don't have an electronic hooked up. Portable speakers don't get much cuter than this retro one and I love that it protects electronics from water and sand. It's light weight and easy to pack around- either pop in your bag or carry it by the handle.





I definitely chose some outdoorsy items to treat myself to to enjoy this Summer, but there are so many other great items available from Uncommon Goods. If you need some Mother's Day gift suggestions for your hubby and kids, see here, here, and here, for some fun ideas. Their website is full of unique items with a goal to connect the maker and their products to individuals looking for special pieces like those you'd find at a pop up event or market, regardless of the distance between them. Uncommon Goods has created a great online marketplace that showcases a variety of items not found in big box retailers, and is supporting independent creators in the process. To see all that they have available, visit their website and find them on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest




x