expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

DIY Mexican Blanket Cushion Cover


Tomorrow is the first day of June (what?!) and soon Summer will be in full swing. So I thought this would be a good time to share a simple project idea that would be the perfect addition to your patio or home and add a pop of colour for the warm days ahead. And what better to do this with than a vibrant Mexican print? I keep seeing beautiful Mexican- inspired rugs and decor on Instagram and Pinterest, and this DIY is a fun way to incorporate it into your home just in time for Summer. 

Basic cushion covers are quick and easy to make even if you don't sew a heck of a lot and are a great beginner sewing project. My Mum recently gave me her old sewing machine and I've been enjoying trying it out for some simple sewing projects like this one. I found the fabric I used at one of my favourite thrift stores but you really aren't limited with the fabric you use, just consider how much wear and tear it will receive and choose a fabric accordingly. While I had my patio in mind while making this, it's ended up being a fun addition to Liam's room (see photos at the end of the post). It's a quick and easy project, and perfect for adding a fun pop of colour. See below for the how- to. 

Materials:
- fabric*
- measuring tape
- fabric chalk
- pinking shears
- pins
Optional:
- seam tape (if you want to make your seams a little more durable and/ or you use fabric that frays easily like the one I used)
- buttons/ zipper 

* you will need enough to cover your cushion with 1" seam allowances on all sides, (my cushion was 15"*15" so I needed 2 pieces that were 17"*17" with seam allowances). 


Directions:
1. Measure the cushion you want to cover to make sure you get enough fabric (remember to add 1" for seam allowances on all sides- increase this if your cushion is really full/ firm).


2. Decide on how you want the pattern on each side (do you want the pattern centred, going in a certain direction, etc) and measure/ mark your fabric accordingly. 


3. Snip snip snip! Use pinking shears to cut the fabric.


4. Place the fabric right sides together and pin along the  edges. Allowing for 1/4" seam allowances, sew around each side, reinforcing the corners by backstitching once or twice. Leave a 3- 4" space un- sewn so you can turn the cushion cover right side out.



5. Flip the cushion cover right side out.


6. And voila! Pop in your cushion and sew up the hole by hand to finish it off.



I love how the cushion cover turned out and think it'll be a cute addition to Liam's bed when he's older. For now it's hanging out with his favourite stuffies in his room. PS- yay for easy distractions (sunglasses) to snap some photos!