expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Monday, June 27, 2016

Yummy Mummy Recipe: Eton Mess Cake

This cake is far from perfect. It's lopsided, uneven, and messy. And I love it. I don't bake the way I used to very often, and even though I made this as a gluten and dairy free cake for Ari's 3rd birthday, it came pretty close to the cakes I used to make. Instead of using cream between the layers I used a vanilla pudding mix as a dairy- free alternative, but if you want to make the regular version, it's worth the indulgence. We were so happy with it I'm thinking I might try making this again for Canada Day. It pretty much never happens that a recipe I'm trying out works on the first attempt, but it happened with this one (I even ended up putting the cake stand on the floor so I could get photos with good light- haha oh the things I do for a photo!- so pardon my floors in some of the shots!). This is the perfect cake to load on fresh Summer berries and really indulge, so I hope you give it a try, in all of it's messy, imperfect glory. 


Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups gluten free flour mix (use regular flour if you prefer)
1 1/4 cups coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups coconut oil
1 cup sugar
3 whole eggs, + 2 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 can coconut milk
zest of 1 lemon
fresh berries and edible flowers for decoration

For between the layers
crumbled meringues
vanilla pudding (I cheated and used a mix- but this is where you'd use whipped cream or be really naughty and use clotted cream for a real English- inspired treat)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line three 8" round cake pans with parchment paper.
2. In one bowl mix together flours, baking powder, and salt.
3. In another bowl, beat together the coconut oil, sugar, honey, eggs and egg yolks, and the vanilla extract until blended. 
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet to avoid lumps, blending well.
5. Add the coconut milk and mix until smooth. The batter will be quite thick (I had to spread my batter with a spatula), but if you find yours is too thick, add 1/2 cup water or coconut milk until it's a little thinner.
6. Add in the lemon zest and mix.
7. Distribute the batter evenly among the 3 pans and bake for 25- 30 minutes until  you can pull a skewer out clean. 
8. Pop the cakes out and let them cool.
9. In between each layer, spread some of the crumbled meringues and drizzle some of the vanilla pudding. Repeat with all 3 layers and top off with some more meringues and pudding and finish off with some fresh flowers and berries. 






... as a fun addition to this recipe, I also made the meringue since I couldn't find any at the store. If you have the same problem, they're about as easy as it gets to make. Instead of piping individual ones, I made one large one and crumbled it up after it cooled. Top leftover meringue off with extra berries for a pavlova- style dessert.