expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Friday, August 19, 2016

5 Reasons to go on a Girl's Getaway


OK ladies, confession time: when was the last time you got away with the girls? For me it was about 5 years ago (!!!) and so much life has happened since then. It can be tough to get away when you've got kids, but even a few hours can make such a difference and remind you why you've got the tribe that you do. Last week I shared about some struggles I recently faced (see that post here) and the experience has made me love & appreciate my friends even more. I'm lucky and they're amazing. Friends are the people you choose to include in your life and they can sometimes be just what you need to refresh & unwind. I'm looking forward to spending a few days away with friends this weekend for the first time since becoming a Mom and I'm beyond excited. I know I'll have mixed emotions and miss my 3 blondes, but the timing couldn't be better with how I've been feeling. Who else can relate? I'm sharing my 5 reasons to go on a girl's getaway and I'm curious to see if/ what I'd change on this list after this weekend. See below for my 5, what would yours be?

1. You deserve it. Let's just get the obvious answer out there first. You work hard everyday to be the best you that you can be to the people in your life and wear a variety of hats in a day. Even if it doesn't look like you've achieved much at the end of the day- the house is a total mess but the kids are alive!- you're working your booty off and it's rarely glamorous juggling all that we do. Also, you probably don't get a lot of time to yourself (anyone else have an audience when they go the bathroom?!), meaning you deserve a break even more! 

2. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Sound familiar? Stepping away from the daily routine and those in it can be what you need to recharge and actually miss those crazy little people (and big people- I can't forget about the hubbies!) and come back refreshed and ready to tackle everything head- on. It can be a chance to reflect on what you love and appreciate about your kids and husband, which you can draw upon during those times they're driving you crazy later. 

3. Friends are the family you choose. Are they ever! Getting married and having a family can have a big impact on your life, including the people you choose to spend time with. Just like any other relationship, friendships need nurturing too and enjoying a couple days- even a couple of hours!- spending time with friends and reconnecting is important. These are the people who are there for you on the bad days, have probably seen you at your worst, and love you anyways. Where else in life do you find people like that? And let's face it, if I'm going to let people in my house while I'm sleep- deprived, in need of coffee and sans makeup/ hair done, these people get me at some of my (ahem) finest moments, so it's nice to spend quality grown up time with them too (and without constant interruption!).

4. Feel like you again. I'm not sure when this happened, but I became a grown- up. I'm not sure that I'm a stellar example, but here we are with a house, 2 kids, and the stress and messes to go with it. It's a beautiful mess, but somedays you can get lost in the mix. I don't have a problem skipping my makeup and throwing my hair into a ponytail or topknot, but somedays I crave putting on a pair of heels and getting dressed up in clothes that aren't kid- friendly (!!!). Having the chance to sleep in, drink a hot cup of coffee and do whatever you want when you want becomes a novelty as a Mom and slowing right down so you can enjoy a day off or two can do wonders for your well being. Indulge in your hobbies, read a book, or do something a little crazy that you can't do with the kids around. Sometimes you don't realize how much you need a break until you get one, so go for it!

5. Make memories. Ok, so I'm ending this on a sentimental note, but really this is so true (see #3). Make sure that you make the time count, whatever that may look like. You might not know when you'll get the chance to get away again, so enjoy it. Organize an activity, open a few bottles of wine, go out for dinner... just have a blast! This is your chance to unwind and have some fun with people you care about, so make some good memories while you're at it. Take photos, have fun, and most importantly, enjoy yourself! Life's too short not to enjoy it, so just go have fun!

What would you add? I'd love to hear what your favourite things to do are on a girls getaway!