expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Faux Fur Stool DIY


Who else agrees- Pinterest is a dangerous place?! I'm always coming across project ideas I want to try and today's post is 100% inspired by some pins I've come across of faux fur stools. Call me a girly girl but I think these fluffy accents are a cute/ fun addition to a room. I'd love to pair mine with a pretty vintage chair or vanity- what do you think??? I found a set of vintage stool legs and knew they'd be perfect for this project and I opted to not sand/ re- stain them but I updated the metal details and hardware with some gold spray paint for a touch of glam. This project did take a little while, so I'd give yourself and hour or two, but the results are worth the effort! Also be warned- working with faux fur can be a little messy, so be prepared to find bits of it everywhere after you're finished! ;) Now who's ready for some crafty fun?!

Materials:
- faux fur 
- upholstery foam (available at fabric/ craft stores)
- wood cut to size for seat base (I made mine 1' * 1')
- legs (great for a repurposing project or find new)
- spray paint
- scrap fabric to line the underside (optional)

Additional supplies/ tools:
- glue gun
- nail gun
- drill
- scissors
- saw
- painter's tape
- measuring tape


Directions:

1. If you're like me and are repurposing pieces or just want to add some metallic detail, tape off the part you don't want painted and spray paint everything- I also painted the hardware to match. Set aside to dry.


2. Cut your piece of wood to the size you want- I cut mine 1' * 1', followed by cutting the upholstery foam to size. I used 3 layers of 1" foam to get the size of cushion I wanted; you can make yours larger/ smaller based on preference, just make sure you have enough faux fur to wrap around it.



3. This step is optional, but I glued the first layer of foam to the wood base to help hold it in place while I secured the faux fur. This is up to you, but I found it really helped.


4. Cut your faux fur to size. I also cut a piece of scrap velvet to 1' * 1' to line the underside of the wood base so the bottom looked finished as well. For the faux fur, make sure you have enough to wrap all sides with 1- 2" extra on all sides to secure it to the base. For mine I used a piece that was 14" * 14".


5. If you're going to line the underside of the stool base, use a glue gun to secure it. Make sure it's glued down well on the edges. Stack your upholstery foam on top of the base and flip it upside down on the backside of the faux fur (make sure it's centred!). Now for the tricky part: For the corners, trim the corners of the fur away  (see photo), so that when you fold the fur down, the edges/ seams overlap by approx 1/4"- 1/2" (any more and the corners will be bulky). Use the glue gun to glue the pieces together, making sure the raw edges are tucked in (I pinched the seams together for a tight/ clean seam). If you prefer, you can also secure with a needle and thread.


6. When all sides and corners are glued, use a staple gun to secure the fur to the wood base. I put a staple in each corner and in the middle of each side. 


7. When your legs and hardware are dry, screw them onto the base. I measured in 1/4" from the edges based on the hardware I had. If you lined the underside of your base with fabric, make sure it doesn't wrinkle/ pucker as you drill in the screws.


8. Brush off any dust/ fur trimmings etc and...


Enjoy!