expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cookie Consent

Friday, November 11, 2016

Bake Me a Cake as Fast as You Can


Growing up I loved baking with my Mum. I have so many fond memories of us whipping up everything from sponge cakes and scones to cookies and shortbread (still a favourite holiday tradition). When I had kids, I always knew I wanted to share this love of food and baking with my kids, and Ari has been helping me stir, sift, and scoop for a little over a year now. Of course there's a flour cloud as we stir, sprinkles go everywhere, and little fingers always seem to be sampling what we're making, but that's part of the fun. A beautiful, delicious mess if there ever was any.

Now that we're knee- deep into the cooler months I totally crave carbs and comfort food. There's something satisfying about a house smelling of baking and then enjoying hot- from- the- oven cookies. Or cake. Or muffins. Or... you get the picture. ;) I've been experimenting with the mixes of gluten free flours I use and as we've been re- introducing dairy back in to Ari's diet I've enjoyed trying out recipes I'd almost given up on. I've been craving a good old chocolate cake, so I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to collaborate with the lovely Jen of The Sweet Life Apparel, and her baking- inspired fashion line. I love me some matchy- matchy styling with my little blondie when I get the chance, and Jen's CAKE shirts were perfect for a morning of baking- what else?- cake.

My kitchen is on the small side, so whenever I get the chance to use the one at my parent's house I jump at the chance- and taking photos definitely called for the extra space. And of course, when the day came to shoot the photos, Ari was not in a good mood. Of course she wasn't she's a toddler, why would she cooperate when I need photos of her rockin' her CAKE tee? ;) But after some major tantrums, and coffee for moi (this was before I went off coffee for the month), we were ready to go. Even though I snap photos of her when we bake, I wanted to get some ones of us together, and once things settled down, we had our usual fun. Me measuring, her stirring and conducting her quality testing- aka finger licking. And the best part? The icing. And sprinkles. That went everywhere (insert teary- eyed laughing emoji right here). I'll be sharing the recipe for this easy chocolate cake next week, but for now I leave you with some of the photos of our latest baking session and those adorable shirts from The Sweet Life Apparel.













 









What we're wearing:


About The Sweet Life Apparel
The Sweet Life Apparel was created by Jen Stafford, a baking enthusiast, on her second maternity leave. Jen creates all of the designs herself and has them printed in the Vancouver area on items produced in sweatshop- free factories, for babies, kids, and adults. As a hobby baker, Jen wanted to share her love of baking with her kids, and The Sweet Life Apparel is a business focused on family and supporting other local small businesses. Pieces include tees, raglans, and onesies, so every member of the family can show how they rock their #thesweetlife pieces. 

Check out the full line by The Sweet Life Apparel on their website and get the latest news on social media:

Instagram: @thesweetlifeapparel 


Instagram: @akanekondophoto